Saturday, 18 July 2009

Let's Fix the World with Baby Steps

I'm a huge listener of music (that is, I listen to music a lot -- not that I'm gigantic) and find that it allows me to express parts of my mind which I don't really tell other people about. Not that I'm being secretive or anything: I'm sure that most people have at least a few corners of their mind which they keep all to themselves.

And so, after yesterday's post which, after thinking about it, seemed quite depressing and doomy-future, I began to think. Like with all of my reflective, ponder-y thinking, I had some music to accompany me. Well, actually, more like two songs to accompany me. Nina Simone's rendition of 'I think it's gonna Rain Today', and KT Tunstall's 'Under the Weather' (can't find a decent version of the latter - sorry!).

Anyway, throughout today I've been real reflective. Reflective and blue.

"Blue?"

Yeah. 'Down in the dumps', as my mother would put it. Whether this was owing to the fact that last night I was visited by two deeply disturbing nightmares, or simply because I knew my post was just 'wrong' somehow, I felt out of sync with everything else. Distant. Cold.

I'll be the first to say that there are some real sh*t things in the world. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say that there are more cr*ppy things than there are good things out there. But, I dunno, sometimes the mathematics of that sentence -- that the bad outweighs the good -- seems really invalid to me.

I mean, let's take weight as an example. It seems that just about everyone has one issue or another with their weight. Sure, weight, body shape and body size is something that we all consider to be a point of sh*tdom in the world. But I dunno. The more I think about it, the more it seems that the positive value of these things -- like body size -- aren't none existant but, really, hiding in the overcoming of them.

And really, it's almost like that with everything, isn't it?

Overcoming abuse. Learning to actually like your body. Making a difference in the world to enable African children to drink fresh water. Whatever the problem is, maybe the sh*t isn't really bad at all, maybe it's just a signal to say that we have to put our attention there.

And maybe that means the world needs a lot of TLC, but with 6.6 billion of us, maybe we can just pull ourselves out of all of this after all. I personally have to believe that we can make this world go forwards. For once, I'd rather be the optomist than the pessimist.

This leaves me with one final thought: they often say that a small change will last forever, while a huge one will fall flat on its face. With that in mind, what action can you do to change the world, or your life, forever?

My mind loves making mistakes, both grammatical and of the spelling variety, in my posts. Please feel free to ignore my mind's little mishaps. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment